Corpus Christi Facebook Corpus Christi Twitter Corpus Christi Pinterest Corpus Christi Google Plus

History

The first of the Diocesan Catholic Schools, Corpus Christi was founded in 1921 by Father Felix C. Abel who came to Colorado Springs to be treated for tuberculosis.  Father Abel opened the school with 66 students and staffed with three sisters of the School Sisters of St. Francis.  Four years later, increased enrollment prompted the construction of a two-room frame school.

In 1950, the core of the present brick school building was built at a cost of $140,000 and was dedicated March 20 with room for 350 children.  Four more rooms were added to the school building in 1959, which by then had an enrollment of 550 students.

A new wing was added to the school in 1998 to accommodate increasing curriculum needs and now houses the Spanish class and 4th and 5th grade homerooms.

Corpus Christi Catholic Parish was founded in 1916  when Father Abel and parishioners purchased and moved a Baptist church to the site of the present church.  The first Mass was celebrated in the new church in 1917. Those founding parishioners were comprised of Catholics of English, Italian, Spanish and Slavic descent.  Many of their descendants are still in the parish today.

The cornerstone for the current church was laid in 1955 after a one-day fundraising drive raised $75,000 toward the new church building.